LEADERSHIP SKILLS - what do you wish you would have KNOWN BEFORE you married or had children?

We've been having discussions centered around leadership skills. In the business world, people are trained to be leaders and manage/team with others toward a common goal. Parents are often "swimming alone" in a sea of uncertainty as they try to raise their children, manage household finances, and play up the strengths of each family member. What skills have YOU developed that you think should be TAUGHT to our teens before they begin serious relationships?

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My husband and I teach our teens the importance of a firm handshake, making eye contact, speaking up (clearly), remembering manners, always respecting others' property, being compassionate, and always being a good listener!

Angela - those are important skills for every teen to have!  Thanks so much for your comment and great suggestions/reminders!

Specifically for business we believe one important thing that sets successful leaders apart from  others is....   Successful business leaders consistently do what they say they will do!

I wish I would have known the art of Emotional Intelligence.  Now that I've been immersed in it, it helps in every aspect of my life!

Emilie - I wish I had known that "art" EARLIER, too:) It would have made my journey less complicated:)  We all grow and learn.  Thanks so much for your comment and contact this week!

Focus! I learned that if I was going to make it through college and graduate school it was going to take a lot of time and focus . There is a lot to be said for doing that one thing really well. I also think that parent's best teaching method is by doing not by instructing.

Nick - I think you are correct:)  As a woman, I tend to multi-task way too much!  I think men focus on ONE task much better....think GOD created it that way to some extent:)  Learning to focus on THE moment, on the ONE task at hand, on EACH day is SO important.  Thank you for the reminder and your reply!

The power of the pause. Using breath and intuition to always be true to oneself, showing integrity, truth and honour. Not to follow the crowd. I think as teens we are like sheep and often look back in later life wondering at some of our actions. If we just pause before action and think / feel things through embarrassment, and shame can be avoided. 

Elaine - great advice and so true, even for adults.  Your comments are greatly appreciated!

RSS

About Us and Site Rules and Guidelines

If you are new to this community - please read about this site including site rules and guidelines here

Members

Latest Activity

treavis headt posted a blog post
Mar 29
treavis headt is now a member of Sixty Second Parent
Mar 29
Goor Westers posted a discussion
May 23, 2022
Goor Westers is now a member of Sixty Second Parent
May 23, 2022
Stella Abu is now a member of Sixty Second Parent
Mar 29, 2021